Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Sunday Dinner Mishap


Sunday is one of the few days of the week we as a family can sit down and have dinner together. Most Sundays involve an Italian Dish. I begin my sauce early in the morning. My whole house smells like marinara sauce. I keep a loaf of Mancini's bread close by so everyone can have a taste of the sauce throughout the day. Most of my dishes are the traditional type. Spaghetti and meatballs, ravioli, chicken parmesan, and lasagna. Well, I decided to try something new. This was inspired by one of my favorite food network stars. I won't mention his name, because this recipe did not work. His Italian version added blanched cauliflower and spinach to the dish. OK, spinach sounded ok....cauliflower? But it looked so good. So, my sauce had turned out amazing. I blanched my cauliflower and browned it as directed my chef. I added the pasta, sauce, cauliflower, and spinach to the dish reluctantly, but still optimistic. I called for everyone to come to the table. As everyone arrived, my son Travis's first comment was "Oh no, not more green stuff"! Let me explain, he will practically jump over the counter to stop me from adding my garnishes of parsley, basil, or cilantro. Then my husband asked "What is in here?" - referring to the cauliflower. I told him what it was. My oldest son chimed, "Whatever happened to normal spaghetti?". Well, everyone ate their food, but not with the usual gusto as with "normal" spaghetti. I will say, this will be one dish not repeated at our dinner table.

One thing I would like to add. My husband asked "What are the health benefits of cauliflower? I will feel better eating it if I knew." WELL ~ Cauliflower Nutrition Highlights:

Cauliflower is a good source of Vitamin C and folate, a B-vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B6, B12) essential to healthy cell-development. Further, it is a good source of lutein, which may assist in eye-health. It also contains phytostols, a group of compounds recently determined to play a role in cancer-prevention. It contains 2.5 grams of fiber per 100 grams (roughly 1 cup).

2 comments:

Mindy said...

However it may have tasted, it sure looks yummy!

Cooking Obsession said...

Thanks. It was the texture of biting into califlower that really was unappealing!