Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fish and Chips

OK. I decided to make "Crispy Catfish with Lemon Tarter Sauce" (4 servings)
.


Calories 270 - fat 13g - Saturated fat 3 g - Protein 21 g

Recipe courtesy of the cookbook, 400 calorie Fix

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons of fat-free plain yogurt
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
2 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon of paprika
2 large egg whites, lightly beaton
1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal
4 cat fish fillets (4 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper


Directions:

Pre-heat the oven to 450. Coat a large baking sheet wit cooking spray.

To make the tarter sauce, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, yogurt, and lemon zest in a small bowl.

Combine the flour and paprika in shallow bowl. Place the egg whites in a second shallow bowl and the cornmeal in the third. Sprinkle the cat fish with the salt and pepper. Working with one at a time, dredge both sides of the fillets in the flour, shaking off any excess. Dip in the egg whites and then in the cornmeal. Set on baking sheet.

Lightly coat the catfish fillets with the cooking spray and bake 7 minutes. Turn the catfish over, coat with cooking spray, and bake for 5-6 minutes more, or until the fish is cooked through and crisp. Serve topped with tartar sauce
For the "chips" I did take a short cut and purchased froze sweet potatoes which I baked.

Review: I would rate it a 5 out 10. First, I must say, I do not like corn bread or corn muffins. So the cornmeal was a reach for me. I also have never had catfish. I now know I do not like catfish. The fish was very strong. My son described it as "muddy". The crust did get a little crispy, but stuck to the pan even though I used the cooking spray. I was only able to eat a piece after drowning it in malt vinegar! The only other family member who ate an entire piece was my son Travis. He dunked it in tons of ketchup. I ended up throwing the rest away. What a disappointment.

I always have to have coleslaw with my fish. So, I turned to one of my favorite celebrity chefs, Paula Deen!

The Lady's Coleslaw.


Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/the-ladys-coleslaw-recipe/index.html


Ingredients
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 large carrot, chopped
1/8 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cabbage head
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (recommended: Jane's Krazy Mixed-up salt)
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 tablespoon white vinegar

Directions
Using a food processor, gently process the bell pepper, onion, carrot, and parsley, being careful not to over process. Cut 1/2 of the cabbage into chunks and place in the food processor and process lightly, making sure the cabbage doesn't become mushy. Slice the remaining cabbage thinly. Mix the cabbage together with the processed vegetables. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients together and allow to stand for a few minutes. Combine the mayonnaise mixture with the vegetables and toss. Chill for 1 hour

Review: I would give it a 7.5. This was tasty and I liked the use of parsley and green peppers. It was easy to make and I substituted a packet of splenda for the sugar. I will make this again. Although I still think my Mom's is better!

3 comments:

Cooking Obsession said...

Vivian Vallies Wow that sure looks yummy! Will have to try that one. Dave and I both love Catfish and cornmeal. I think we would really like this. Thanks for posting.

Cooking Obsession said...

Melissa Ball Connell - vivian, please let me know if you make it and what you think. I would like to add your feedback to my blog. Thanks!

Cooking Obsession said...

Catherine Grabiec - OH Yummm.... Something I would make too....I love sweet potato frys