Tuesday, February 2, 2010
6 more weeks of winter
So, Punxatawney Phill saw his shadow today. 6 more weeks of winter. Growing up about 20 minutes from Punxatawney, I have never participated in the Ground Hog Day festivities, but I hear they are fun.
My son Ryan also has a love for cooking. He attended a cooking class at Market District today. He had a great time. His favorite recipe was the "six more weeks of winter" soup. I have included the recipe courtesy of the Market District. Ryan said it was delicious.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, small diced
1 box Market District chicken stock
1 Tbsp. thyme, chopped
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1/2 box of whole wheat rotini
1 bag spinach, roughly chopped
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat
2. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock, thyme, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add rotini and simmer until noodles are cooked through, about 12 minutes.
5. Add spinach and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.
(I added one clove of chopped garlic and 1 Tsp. of basil to enhance the flavor)
Serves 4 * Prep Time: 5 minutes* cook time: 25 minutes
For more information on the awesome Market District, check their face book page at: