Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Grandma Minnie's Famous Chocolate Fudge


As a girl, there are many childhood memories of my Grandmother's wonderful cooking. Every time I would visit, the savory and sweet smells would permeate the air. Now, I am not a baker. And I typically do not like sweets, especially chocolate. However, this fudge my grandmother made had me smacking my lips in anticipation, waiting for her to be done beating the fudge to a a dull finish and anxiously waiting for it to harden after she poured it on a plate. No, she did not use your typical 8x8 pan. She always used a regular dinner plate. Between my cousins and I, we would devour the plate in 5 minutes flat. We were firm believers in "who ever eats the fastest gets the mostest". HA HA. SO, I have tried multiple times to make this recipe. I was finally able to perfect it yesterday. Yes, I had the recipe each time. The fault in previous attempts was in the how long I allowed the fudge to cook and beating it long enough to remove the gloss. Both a very tedious process. For cooking, the recipe calls for boiling until the candy reaches 235 degrees. My success arrived when I ditched my candy thermometer and used the "soft-ball" test. At 235° F, the syrup is at the “soft-ball” stage. That means that when you drop a bit of it into cold water to cool it down, it will form a soft ball. This takes about 18 minutes. Then having the patients and energy to beat the fudge to a dull finish. I hope these tips will help you if you decide to try this fudge recipe!


Ingredients:

3 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of cocoa
1/8 of salt
1 can of evaporated milk
1/4 cup of butter
1 tsp. vanilla

In sauce pan add sugar,cocoa,& salt. Mix together. Stir in milk, cook over medium heat until the syrup reaches a full boil. (Stirring continuously during this process) Cook until your candy thermometer reaches 235, or the soft ball stage as stated above.
Add 1/4 cup of butter and 1 tsp.vanilla. Beat with wooden
spoon till it loses its gloss than pour into butter pan or dish.

You can also add 1/4 cup of peanut butter when you add the butter and vanilla.

Bénéficier! (Enjoy!)

5 comments:

Cooking Obsession said...

Jerry Valleys February 19 at 6:24pm Reply

your right about grandmas fudge ,she would ask me do you want money ,or fudge i always picked the fudge. love that fudge and loved that thanksgiving pic

Cooking Obsession said...

Deidre Vallies Houllion February 19 at 7:50pm Reply

Grandmas fudge no other recipe compares to it,YUMMO!!! Who had the thanksgiving picture ? I have a Spanish Rice recipe that Grandma wrote up for me a month before she went home to our loving God. I will dig it up and submit on here soon, I make it at least once every 2 months, love it. Everytime I make it and the fudge it's as if she is right there with me. The loving memories of our Grandma Minnie. I will dig up some pictures also. Thanks Missy for starting this I hope more family participates with recipes from the family and also pictures.
I really miss the family get togethers. Lot of good memories.

Cooking Obsession said...

Sue Ann Shish Yeager February 20 at 4:17am Reply

FAMILY!! now we are talking goooooood food, there was nothing like it,
fudge, homemade bread, homemade everything, and the memories are as good as the taste of the food, because aunt minnie and my mom put soooooo much love in everything they made. i also miss family get togethers, and yep dee dee alot of great memories!!!!

Cooking Obsession said...

Gloria Ball February 20 at 6:07am Reply

Hi Sue Ann, You know I was dreaming of Aunt Gloria last night. I think Melissa would like Aunt Gloria's home made Banana Nut cake with the iceing she put on. I guess with Melissa doing family receipes I remember her banana cake with that icing. I am looking at my old pictures for her. Love ya Snooky Did you ever have a picture of Aunt Gloria when we were in the Silence of the Lambs?

Cooking Obsession said...

Sue Ann Shish Yeager February 20 at 6:25am Reply

no but i have the movie, i miss mom alot, and i will dig out some of those receipes for melissa, i have alot of mom's receipes it is just whether or not i can still read them as i have never transfered them to new paper and you know how often they did those receipes even some of the old flour is still on them ha ha