Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dreaming of the days of summer.

As I sit here looking out my bay window, watching the snow swirl around on the deck, I dream of the days of summer. Don't get me wrong, I actually love the snow. Building snowmen, sled riding, snow days, sitting around the fireplace, and hoping for a white Christmas. Yes, we FINALLY had one this year. What I miss about the summer is my garden on the deck.

Because I love to cook, I grow a multitude of herbs and veggies. When I walk out on my deck the aroma of sweet basil permeates the air. As I move closer, the hint of fresh mint tickles my nose. I inspect the zucchini plants and see that they are growing rapidly and I should be able to harvest a couple soon. The peppers are ready for picking. Green, banana, chile, poblano, and jalapeno coloring the right side of the deck. These lovely peppers will provide our family an array of delicious meals well into Fall.

Ah, and the sweet tomatoes. Both cherry and beefsteak. Nothing beats eating a tomato fresh off the vine. These treasures can be enjoyed merely with a dash of salt. Add a juicy slice to a sandwich and you have pure heaven on a bun. Tossed in a salad with a vinaigrette. Yum.

But alas, the containers once holding my bounty lay dormant. Looking back at me quite bleak. Hoping for an early summer when they will once again be alive with all of natures best. Until than, I will sip another cup of coffee and dream.

No comments: